Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Youtube Ads in Spanish and Walks through Labyrinths

A lot of crazy things have happened over the last few days, so, I thought I would share. First, though, I thought I would share that while listening to some very American music (Little Big Town's "Boondocks" - don't judge) there were actually advertisements in Spanish. For some reason it didn't occur to me that this would happen, so, it was a bit of a shock when someone started talking in Spanish while I was trying to listen to a song about being raised in the American Boondocks. Just a laughable moment.

Then in Spanish class, I was trying to explain the difference between "gusta" and "gustan" (in Spanish) to other members of the class who didn't quite get what was going on. I made it all the way through, using only Spanish, and was actually able to explain it. Fifteen minutes later, I realized that I had mixed up "adjectives" and "verbs," so, there goes my English degree! For shame!

Another thing to laugh at happened in Plaza del Sol today. I heard these clearly American boys talking about Spanish stereotypes and I stopped to ask them (in my clearly American English) where they were from. Their response? The United States...
Ya, got that. Thanks. Me too... It turns out they were preps from North Jersey.

Yesterday, I found Labyrinths near the Palacio Real. My Aunt Suzanne loved Labyrinths while she was alive and I took an instant liking to them. It was perfect timing to. I recently lost my Uncle Ron, who had been married to my Aunt Suzanne, and his funeral is this coming weekend. I am sad that I can't celebrate his life with my family, but I feel better knowing I found a place where I can celebrate his life from Spain. This will be my new journal spot. I wrote a poem to go with it. I have decided to do something like UrbanSketchers with poetry since I have poor drawing skills and need to keep up with my writing. I will share it here, but keep in mind I haven't written in a while and it is a really really rough sketch of a poem (like before first round of a workshop rough).


Labyrinth near Royal Palace
Madrid, Spain
Sept 10, 2013

For Aunt Suzanne

heartstrings pulled forward
                             up
                             back
towards a future
towards you  
towards the past

the past

a place you wouldn't want me to be

but here I am
wishing I could share this sight

a garden
similar to yours

memories of a future
I have yet to encounter

I was meant to find this
I was meant to be in a place
when the pain of losing you 
grew stronger
         harder
         faster
with the loss of your husband

I was meant to be in a place
you would call

home




No comments:

Post a Comment